- INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
The Malawi Bureau of Standards (MBS) is a statutory organization established in 1972 by an Act of Parliament Chapter 51:02, with a mandate to promote metrology, standardization and quality assurance of commodities and of their manufacture, production, processing or treatment; and further to provide for matters incidental to, or connected with standardization.
In order to fulfill its mandate effectively and efficiently with strategic leadership and management, an opportunity has arisen to engage qualified and experienced people of Malawian origin to fill Executive Management positions tenable at its Head Office in Blantyre. The MBS Board, therefore, invites applications from suitable candidates to fill the positions on a three-year employment contract, which is subject for renewal upon satisfactory performance.
These are highly demanding positions that require people who have demonstrable capacity to initiate administrative, managerial and technical innovations geared at making MBS a vibrant service organization.
Purpose of the job
Reporting to the Director General, the Director of Standards Development will be responsible for providing leadership and guidance in developing national standards and maintaining standards related information.
Key duties and responsibilities
The following are the key duties and responsibilities:
- Directing the programmes of the MBS relating to the development and promotion of standards;
- Advising the Director General on matters relating to standards development;
- Supervising national standards development process;
- Providing liaison services to national, regional and international stakeholders on information related to standardization;
- Facilitating the development of budgets and work plans for the Department;
- Monitoring and evaluating the implementation of budgets and work plans;
- Consolidating quarterly and annual reports on the activities of the Department;
- Conducting performance appraisals for Deputy Directors and ensuring efficient and effective performance appraisal system of the Department;
- Supervising departmental staff;
- Appraising Deputy Directors; and
- Providing secretarial services to the Standards Policy Advisory Committee of the MBS Board.
Qualifications and experience
Applicants should possess:
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in either Natural, Engineering or Applied Sciences, in addition to a relevant Bachelor’s degree
- At least 10 years postgraduate work experience, of which atleast 6years practical experience in standardization and quality management systems related field, and 4years at senior management position
- Those with knowledge of international and regional standardization systems or frameworks, or/and professional qualifications in standardization and quality assurance will have an added advantage.
Required competencies and personal attributes
The ideal candidate for the position must:
- Demonstrate leadership skills and analytical mind;
- Be able to lead and motivate teams in the area of standards development;
- Have self-drive and excellent communication skills;
- Have good leadership and team building skills;
- Be results oriented;
- Be decisive, self-motivated and assertive;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and able to deal with a diverse workforce;
- Be of high integrity;
- Have excellent negotiating and analytical skills; and
- Have a clean drivers’ license.
- TERMS AND CONDTITIONS OF SERVICE
The MBS shall offer an attractive employee benefits package to successful candidates in accordance with its emolument procedures.
- METHOD OF APPLICATION
Those interested should submit their applications together with a detailed and updated Curriculum Vitae and names of three (3) traceable referees. The application should be sent to the address below not later than 7th September, 2021.
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations
P.O. Box 30061
The MBS is an equal opportunity employer therefore qualified females are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged and invited for interviews.