DEPUTY DIRECTOR GENERAL
The Malawi Bureau of Standards (MBS) is a statutory organization established in 1972 by an Act of Parliament (Cap 51:02 of the Laws of Malawi), with a mandate to promote metrology, standardization and quality assurance of commodities and of their manufacture, production, processing or treatment; and further to provide for matters incidental to, or connected with standardization. The MBS is also mandated to provide metrology services which involves verification and weighing and measuring instruments, undertaken through the implementation of the Metrology Act (Act No. 10 of 2016).
In order to fulfill its mandate effectively and efficiently with strategic leadership and management, an opportunity has arisen to engage a qualified person of Malawian origin to fill a Management position of Deputy Director General tenable at its Head Office in Blantyre. The MBS Board therefore invites applications from suitable candidates to fill the position on a three (3) year employment contract, which is subject for renewal upon satisfactory performance.
This is a highly demanding position that requires a person who has demonstrable capacity to initiate administrative, managerial and technical innovations geared at making MBS a vibrant service organization.
Summary of the job
To provide strategic leadership and guidance to technical departments in managing corporate policies, work programmes and plans approved by the Board.
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
Reporting to the Director-General, the Deputy Director General shall be responsible for overall leadership and maintenance of all technical operations at the Malawi Bureau of Standards.
The incumbent’s key responsibilities will be:-
- i) Developing and fostering implementation of plans, policies and strategies of the Bureau;
- ii) Setting and monitoring the implementation of internal quality monitoring systems in conformity with set standards;
iii) Communicating institutional strategy and priorities to internal and external stakeholders;
- iv) Mobilizing resources and properly managing their effective, efficient and economic utilization;
- v) Establishing and managing partnerships and linkages with government, the public and private sectors, development partners and international community related to standardization;
- vi) Overseeing the implementation of projects in the Bureau;
vii) Providing leadership in industrial training, research and consultancies which the Bureau undertakes;
viii) Participating in the development, review and maintenance of Standardisation, Quality Assurance and Metrology (SQAM) activities;
- ix) Fostering intellectual interaction across the Bureau and promoting a culture of organizational excellence;
- xi) Ensuring that departmental plans are aligned with the institutional goals;
xii) Monitoring the operations and performance of regional MBS offices;
Academic and professional qualifications
Applicants should possess:
- Minimum of a Masters Degree in any of the following areas: Chemistry, Engineering, Environmental Sciences; or Natural Sciences; in addition to a relevant Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Engineering, Environmental Sciences or Natural Sciences.
- A minimum of ten (10) years post-graduate work experience, five (5) of which at a senior management level.
Required competencies and personal attributes
The ideal candidate for the position must:
- Demonstrate leadership skills and analytical mind;
- Be able to lead and motivate various scientific teams in the area of Quality Assurance;
- Have self-drive and excellent communication and team builder and leader;
- Be able to coordinate various research and training programmes in quality assurance;
- Be conversant with quality assurance procedures;
- Must have a clean drivers’ license;
- Have good leadership and team building skills;
- Be results oriented;
- Be decisive, self-motivated and assertive;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and able to deal with a diverse workforce;
- Be of high integrity; and
- Have excellent negotiating and analytical skills.
- TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The MBS shall offer an attractive employee benefits package to the successful candidate in accordance with its emolument structure which includes salary, medical insurance and membership to a Contributory Pension Scheme.
- METHOD OF APPLICATION
Those interested should submit their applications together with a detailed and updated Curriculum Vitae and names of three (3) traceable referees. The application should be sent to the address below not later than 25th July 2022.
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations
P.O. Box 30061
The MBS is an equal opportunity employer, therefore, qualified females are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.