The Malawi Bureau of Standards (MBS) is a statutory organization established in 1972 by an Act of Parliament (Cap 51:02 of the Laws of Malawi), with a mandate to promote metrology, standardization and quality assurance of commodities and of their manufacture, production, processing or treatment; and further to provide for matters incidental to, or connected with standardization. The MBS is also mandated to provide metrology services which involves verification and weighing and measuring instruments, undertaken through the implementation of the Metrology Act (Act No. 10 of 2016).
In order to fulfill its mandate effectively and efficiently with strategic leadership and management, an opportunity has arisen to engage a qualified person of Malawian origin to fill a Management position of Director General tenable at its Head Office in Blantyre. The MBS Board therefore invites applications from suitable candidates to fill the position on a three (3) year employment contract, which is subject for renewal upon satisfactory performance.
This is a highly demanding position that requires a person who has demonstrable capacity to initiate administrative, managerial and technical innovations geared at making MBS a vibrant service organization.
Summary of the job
To provide strategic leadership and guidance to the Bureau in the implementation of corporate policies, work programmes and plans approved by the Board.
Key duties and responsibilities
The following are the key duties and responsibilities:
- Planning and directing implementation of the financial, operational, human resource, administrative and organizational cultural activities in accordance with good practice and legal provisions;
- Directing the execution of the MBS programmes in relation to implementation and promotion of standards in Malawi;
- Developing, implementing and maintaining Standardization, Quality Assurance and Metrology (SQAM) activities;
- Identifying organization structure changes and staff skill requirements and putting in place required management systems and processes to manage the motivation of staff;
- Participating in various meetings related to water industry to represent the interest of the Bureau and/or Government as required;
- Providing secretarial services to the Malawi Bureau of Standards Board;
- Responding to queries related to the Bureau matters and producing MBS annual report;
- Formulating and reviewing overall policies, strategies, annual work plans and budget and creating appropriate working climate;
- Monitoring and evaluating performance of specific departments;
- Controlling human, financial and material resources;
- Liaising with Government, Development partners, external bodies and other key stakeholders in matters relevant to SQAM or general policy direction on behalf of the Bureau;
- Preparing and presenting appropriate reports to the Board and Government as required from time to time;
- Championing corporate governance, risk management and internal control processes;
- Appraising the performance of Directors.
Academic and professional qualifications
Applicants should possess:
- Minimum of a Masters’ Degree in any of the following areas: Chemistry, Engineering, Environmental Sciences; or Natural Sciences; in addition to a relevant Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Engineering, Environmental Sciences or Natural Sciences.
- A minimum of ten (10) years post graduate work experience, seven (7) of which at a senior management level.
Required competencies and personal attributes
The ideal candidate for the position must:
- Demonstrate leadership skills and analytical mind;
- Be able to lead and motivate various scientific teams in the area of Quality Assurance;
- Have self-drive and excellent communication and team builder and leader;
- Be able to coordinate various research and training programmes in Quality Assurance;
- Be conversant with quality assurance procedures;
- Must have a clean drivers’ license;
- Have good leadership and team building skills;
- Be results oriented;
- Be decisive, self-motivated and assertive;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and able to deal with a diverse workforce;
- Be of high integrity; and
- Have excellent negotiating and analytical skills.
- TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The MBS shall offer an attractive employee benefits package to the successful candidate in accordance with its emolument structure which includes salary, medical insurance and membership to a Contributory Pension Scheme.
- METHOD OF APPLICATION
Those interested should submit their applications together with a detailed and updated Curriculum Vitae and names of three (3) traceable referees. The application should be sent to the address below not later than 25th July 2022.
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations
P.O. Box 30061
The MBS is an equal opportunity employer, therefore, qualified females are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.