Purpose of the job
Reporting to the Director General, the Director of Testing Services will be responsible for providing strategic direction for effective and efficient operation of the Department.
Key duties and responsibilities
The following are the key duties and responsibilities:
- Coordinating activities of Testing Services Department;
- Developing annual work plans, budgets, fees schedules and procedures for the department;
- Ensuring implementation of annual work plans, budgets, fees schedules and procedures for the department;
- the performance of the department;
- Determining appropriate human and material resource levels for the department;
- Ensuring that appropriate equipment is expeditiously sourced, installed, maintained and calibrated;
- Supervising departmental staff;
- Ensuring timely submission of results to clients;
- Ensuring that laboratory staff are trained and evaluated for competence in the operations of instruments, analytical skills and management systems;
- Identifying the need for new positions and initiating recruitment;
- Implementing and maintaining the requirements of MS-ISO 17025 for laboratory accreditation;
- Coordinating the participation of MBS in proficiency testing schemes for local as well as regional bodies;
- Initiating and implementing key projects for revenue and efficiency improvement;
- Organizing and coordinating national and regional PT schemes; and
- Appraising performance of Deputy Directors.
Qualifications and experience
Applicants should possess:
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in either Natural, Engineering or Applied Sciences, in addition to a relevant Bachelor’s degree
- At least 10 years postgraduate work experience, of which atleast 6years practical experience in standardization and quality management systems related field, and 4years at senior management position
- Those with knowledge of international and regional standardization systems or frameworks, or/and professional qualifications in standardization and quality assurance will have an added advantage.
Required competencies and personal attributes
The ideal candidate for the position must:
- Demonstrate leadership skills and analytical mind;
- Be able to lead and motivate various scientific teams in a laboratory environment;
- Be able to coordinate various research and training programmes in standardization and quality assurance;
- Be conversant with laboratory quality assurance procedures;
- Be results oriented;
- Have self-drive and excellent communication skills;
- Have good leadership and team building skills;
- Be results oriented;
- Be decisive, self-motivated and assertive;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and able to deal with a diverse workforce;
- Be of high integrity;
- Have excellent negotiating and analytical skills; and
- Have a clean drivers’ license.
TERMS AND CONDTITIONS OF SERVICE
The MBS shall offer an attractive employee benefits package to successful candidates in accordance with its emolument procedures.
- METHOD OF APPLICATION
Those interested should submit their applications together with a detailed and updated Curriculum Vitae and names of three (3) traceable referees. The application should be sent to the address below not later than 7th September, 2021.
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations
P.O. Box 30061
The MBS is an equal opportunity employer therefore qualified females are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged and invited for interviews.